From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Flashing hardware via WINE ?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:39:00
1 On 03/19 10:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:09:51 +0100, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > I have a smart NiMH-charger with serial port (normally used to
5 > > dump chargeing curves to the PC).
6 > > The chargers firmware can bei flashed with a flashtool provided
7 > > by the vendor. The communication is via serial port. I have
8 > > a PCI=>serial.ports-card installed in my PC.
9 > >
10 > > The command
11 > >
12 > > file <flashing tool>
13 > >
14 > > results in this information
15 > >
16 > > PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
17 > >
18 > > . As Linux user by heart I have no Windows.
19 >
20 > Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if flashing from Linux
21 > is possible?
24 > --
25 > Neil Bothwick
26 >
27 > I am MODERATOR of BORG. Follow the rules or be assimilated.
28
29 Hi Neil,
30
31 yes...no chance.
32 Linux is insecure...you know.
33 It makes it possible to spy the firmware and decrypt it on
34 the way to the charger.
35
36 Windows is much more secyre.
37
38 Earth is flat and there was no landing on the moon.
39
40 I believe in Santa Claus.
41
42 Cheers