From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssmtp & at&t woes
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:59:52
1 On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
4 > On 5 Dec 2008, at 03:12, John Blinka wrote:
5 >
6 >> ...
7 >> I've run out of patience with this and am
8 >> now relaying my mail to smtp.gmail.com via ssmtp. That worked
9 >> immediately without any of the at&t pain. ...
12 > That will always change your "from: " email address to your @gmail one. If
13 > you own my.cool.domain.com then you can't send email with a "from: "
14 > address within that domain.
18 That's what I want to happen, so it's fine.
23 > BT in the UK do this with Yahoo!, too. You have to login to the Yahoo!
24 > webmail for the account, go into "options" (I think it's under "other
25 > accounts") and add your other email addresses. You'll be able to use them as
26 > your "from: " addresses with the Yahoo SMTP server once you've clicked on
27 > the links in the emails they send you.
30 AT&T's yahoo interface has an "options" menu, and I've explored it
31 extensively, but
32 I haven't found such a place to add "from" addresses. Mysteriously (to me
33 at least), once
34 I gave up on AT&T's smtp server and set my system up to relay through gmail,
35 my
36 nightly amanda jobs successfully sent their email reports to my
37 att.netemail account.
38 (I'd forgotten to change the email reporting address from att.net to
39 gmail.com in my
40 amanda.conf files.) So, I guess at&t/yahoo regard gmail as a legitimate
41 source of email.
42
43 John