From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssmtp & at&t woes
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:36:22
1 On 5 Dec 2008, at 03:12, John Blinka wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I've run out of patience with this and am
4 > now relaying my mail to smtp.gmail.com via ssmtp. That worked
5 > immediately without any of the at&t pain. ...
6
7 That will always change your "from: " email address to your @gmail
8 one. If you own my.cool.domain.com then you can't send email with a
9 "from: " address within that domain.
10
11 > ...
12 > Thanks for this suggestion. I tried nullmailer, and it is, indeed,
13 > easier
14 > to set up. And I think it worked, too, but then I ran afoul of a
15 > "553"
16 > error in t&t/yahoo's smtp server - something about an unverified
17 > alternate email address. I'm guessing that nullmailer worked, but
18 > that at&t/yahoo have some additional layer of requirements for a
19 > working smtp connection.
20
21 BT in the UK do this with Yahoo!, too. You have to login to the Yahoo!
22 webmail for the account, go into "options" (I think it's under "other
23 accounts") and add your other email addresses. You'll be able to use
24 them as your "from: " addresses with the Yahoo SMTP server once you've
25 clicked on the links in the emails they send you.
26
27 Stroller.