From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssmtp & at&t woes
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 03:12:11
1 On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Håkon Alstadheim
2 <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>wrote:
3
4 > Since this thread has been going on for so long without a resolution, I
5 > thought I'd mention that I recently switched to nullmailer from ssmtp. Im
6 > using port 587 with STARTTLS, and I find nullmailer way easier to set up.
7 > Just put --user and --pass parameters in /etc/nullmailer/remotes.
10 Thanks for this suggestion. I tried nullmailer, and it is, indeed, easier
11 to set up. And I think it worked, too, but then I ran afoul of a "553"
12 error in t&t/yahoo's smtp server - something about an unverified
13 alternate email address. I'm guessing that nullmailer worked, but
14 that at&t/yahoo have some additional layer of requirements for a
15 working smtp connection. I've run out of patience with this and am
16 now relaying my mail to smtp.gmail.com via ssmtp. That worked
17 immediately without any of the at&t pain.
18
19 Thanks to everyone who responded!
20
21 John