From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: RAID on new install
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 06:22:47
1 On Monday 04 April 2011 14:16:45 James wrote:
2 > Mark Shields <laebshade <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > The last guide recommends using raid0 on some
4 > > partitions; everytime I use LVM2, I use nothing
5 > > but raid1 partitions. I'd rather have the full
6 > > raid1 than partial raid 1 + speed of raid0.
7 >
8 > Well Raid 1 only would be keen.
9 > Even swap as raid 1 ?
10 >
11 > There are actually 2 docs that cross
12 > reference each other. See my post to
13 > Mark's input...
14 >
15 > thx
16 > James
17
18 On my server, I use RAID-1 for swap as well. Why risk the system crashing
19 because half the swap dissappears suddenly because of a drive failure?
20
21 There actually is only 1 system that I use regularly with a RAID-0 partition.
22 And that machine is only used for virtual machines I use for testing. If that
23 one dies, worst that happens is I need to recreate the images. Not a big loss
24 for me.
27 Joost Roeleveld