From: Gregory Fontenele <gregoryfontenele@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: RAID on new install
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:25:35
1 want to leave this list but I can not, can someone erase me from this list?
2
3 On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 03:21, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4
5 > On Monday 04 April 2011 14:16:45 James wrote:
6 > > Mark Shields <laebshade <at> gmail.com> writes:
7 > > > The last guide recommends using raid0 on some
8 > > > partitions; everytime I use LVM2, I use nothing
9 > > > but raid1 partitions. I'd rather have the full
10 > > > raid1 than partial raid 1 + speed of raid0.
11 > >
12 > > Well Raid 1 only would be keen.
13 > > Even swap as raid 1 ?
14 > >
15 > > There are actually 2 docs that cross
16 > > reference each other. See my post to
17 > > Mark's input...
18 > >
19 > > thx
20 > > James
21 >
22 > On my server, I use RAID-1 for swap as well. Why risk the system crashing
23 > because half the swap dissappears suddenly because of a drive failure?
24 >
25 > There actually is only 1 system that I use regularly with a RAID-0
26 > partition.
27 > And that machine is only used for virtual machines I use for testing. If
28 > that
29 > one dies, worst that happens is I need to recreate the images. Not a big
30 > loss
31 > for me.
32 >
33 > --