From: Martins <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:39:05
1 On Tuesday 23 January 2007 11:19, Dale wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 >
4 > As someone who started out using Mandrake, I have to say that using
5 > Gentoo has been a LOT easier. Yea, I had to learn how to use Gentoo and
6 > it is different from Mandrake by far but it is a whole lot easier to
7 > manage. I have been using Gentoo for about 2 or 3 years for my desktop
8 > and I would not consider switching to any other distro. I spend a lot
9 > less time messing with my Gentoo install that I did Mandrake. The
10 > upgrade process with Mandrake was . . . . a disaster. From what I
11 > understand Redhat and Mandrake are pretty close. I certainly wouldn't
12 > switch to Redhat then.
13 >
14 > As for security, I have had several times that my internet connection
15 > was messed up and the md5 sums didn't match. Portage didn't hesitate to
16 > delete those puppies and let me know that something was changed. It
17 > would seem to me that it would be difficult for someone to change the
18 > source code on one server then change the other files on the rsync
19 > server so they both match up.
20 >
21 > Well, that my $0.02 worth. Some of what is being said just doesn't make
22 > sense to me at all. Gentoo is a lot better than some distros. It
23 > certainly beats windoze.
24 >
25 > Dale
26
27 I can add to this, my first distro was Mandrake too. It was pain to build
28 something from source, gather all the dependencies just because they dont
29 provide such binaries. Gentoo has huge collection of software to choose from
30 and all overlys ...
31
32 Martins
33 --