From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3 partition dissapeared :(
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:51:06
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:25:20 +0100 jcd <jcd@××××××.cz> wrote:
4
5 > I used cfdisk and I'm sure that I allocated whole disk (I just deleted
6 > remaining partition and created new one and just confirm size, because
7 > it should take whole disk, and even if not, it souldn't create new
8 > partition on empty disk beyond some other 'non-existing' partition so
9 > I'm sure I made a good job of it) and saved changes (it prompted me
10 > for writing new partition table). I haven't any /dev/sdb2,
11 > just /dev/sdb1. It seems it is really bad situation for me :(.
12
13 No, it probably isn't.
14 In order to be sure next time, do a "cat /proc/partitions" after using
15 fdisk. That will show what the kernel thinks your partition layout is.
16
17 > So for future is there any way to log more detailed info
18 > about these things (besides info about creating ext3 partition even
19 > info about size of this partition)?
20
21 Just backup your partition table next time. That will cost only about
22 512 Byte (actually, less than that) and save you some stress.
23
24 > Should I run 'hdparm -z' after creating new patition in
25 > future?
26
27 Or reboot/kexec. Or use a similar functionality built into fdisk.
28
29 > And because I don't want to tease you any more, please give
30 > me some last solution what shoudl I do (forlorn hope).
31
32 I did already in my last answer. Extract that partition (i.e. copy it
33 onto another drive) or try to recreate a valid partition table. Gpart
34 told you where the partition is hiding.
35
36 -hwh
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list