From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems setting up sshd on an installation kernel
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:12:00
1 Hi, Florian,
2
3 On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 05:59:00PM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie schrieb:
5
6 > > I'm trying to get sshd working on an embryonic Gentoo installation on
7 > > my laptop. The reason is that I want to ssh from my nice comfy
8 > > desktop system into this laptop to do the rest of the installation
9 > > stuff.
10
11 > > The installation kernel with which I'm having problems is:
12 > > Linux livecd 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 11:40:51 UTC 2009.
13
14 > > Having started sshd on my laptop, when I do
15
16 > > ssh -lroot 192.168.2.101
17
18 > > from my desktop, I get prompted for my ssh key's pass phrase, which I
19 > > enter. Thereafter, nothing happens, and it continues to happen for a
20 > > long, long time.
21
22 > [...]
23
24 > > Clearly openpty (a C function) is failing to find some file. Don't
25 > > you just love error messages like "No such file or directory" which
26 > > forget to identify the filename? I'm guessing that the file it can't
27 > > find is the device file for the new pty.
28
29 > > Is there anything I can do to get sshd working from this kernel (and if
30 > > so, what?), or is there something fundamentally wrong with the kernel
31 > > configuration?
34 > Where did you start sshd, in the chrooted environment or on the live cd
35 > itself?
36
37 In the chrooted environment. When I start it directly in the live cd
38 session, it seems to work just fine.
39
40 When it works (from live cd), it creates a device file /dev/pts/0 in
41 (presumably) the installation ram disk. When it doesn't work (from
42 chrooted environment) it fails to create /dev/pts/0, even though /dev/pts
43 exists inside the chrooted root filesystem.
46 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).