From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup tool for my Windows 98 desktop?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 02:16:39
1 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2 > [...]
3
4 For creating a compressed version of the partition, try passing it
5 through gzip or such between dd and the output file; something like
6
7 # dd if=/dev/(win98) bs=512 | gzip -9 > win98.gz
8
9 would probably do the trick. To create an ISO image containing the
10 file, you want mkisofs (included in cdrtools afaik):
11
12 # mkdir win98
13 # mv win98.gz win98/
14 # mkisofs -o win98.iso win98/
15
16 From there, it's standard cdrecord procedure. To restore the partition
17 later, simply boot to Linux and:
18
19 # mount /mnt/cdrom
20 # zcat /mnt/cdrom/win98.gz | dd of=/dev/(win98)
21
22 If even gzip -9 can't get the partition small enough for you, I'm not
23 sure what to do. Try using DBAN (dban.sourceforge.net) to cover the
24 partition in zeroes before doing the Windows install; the repeated
25 zeroes in the unused space will probably help reduce the compressed file
26 size.
27
28 HTH.
29 --