From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] backup tool for my Windows 98 desktop?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:45:38
1 Hello. Most of our computers in the Office runs Linux, however we have
2 to keep a Win98 desktop (dual-boot with Linux) so that we can test
3 several software. This is a purely testbed machine that need regular
4 re-install. e.g. once a month, because it's placed publically and breaks
5 frequently.
6
7 I am tired of re-installing Windows 98, and then complete with other
8 software (filezilla, 7-zip, extra editors..., OOO). I think perhaps it's
9 easier after I re-installed everything I make a backup of the Windows
10 partition onto a CDROM and later use that CDROM to restore the
11 partition.
12
13 The partition is 5GB but actual data on it is smaller then 600MB right
14 after Win98 and complementary software installed.
15
16 First I thought using gentoo live CD, use dd(1) to copy the partition to
17 a file and burn it on the live CD. However the file must be too big to
18 fit on CDR (en I think perhaps I can compress it), and yet how do I add
19 it to the live CD iso image so that cdrecord(1) can burn it? I think
20 perhaps I should first try borrow experience on gentoo user list.
21
22 How do you think is the best approach?
23
24 P.S. I know norton Ghost can do this but I don't think it's worth to buy
25 a copy.
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list