From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] framebuffer questions
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 20:36:41
1 > Did you try just running "fbset -a 1024x768-76" on
2 > the command
3 > line, after bootup? If this works (and it just
4
5 Well, well, well. I've tried this command before
6 --shoulda mentioned it. What happened was that the
7 screen would try to change itself but drop back into
8 default(?) mode with a lot of staticky looking stuff
9 all over the screen.
10
11 But, this time, boom! Now everything is scrunched into
12 the upper left hand corner of the screen. I've maxed
13 out the settings in the screen control panel on the
14 monitor itself and managed to move the text to a band
15 down the center of the screen with margins of about
16 two inches. Now instead of no margins, they're too
17 big.
18
19 I tried adjusting the command but whatever I enter it
20 replies; "Unknown video mode '800x600-60'"
21 for example. or "Unknown video mode '1024x768-60'".
22
23 But the display is otherwise just like with the boot
24 CD.
25
26 And the bare fbset command reveals the new mode.
27
28 Another thing: doesn't the -a switch set (a)ll the
29 consoles? Not in this instance.
30
31 Now for my finale, hot off the hard drive there is:
32
33 localhost ~ # fbset -fb /dev/fb0
34
35 mode "1024x768-76"
36 # D: 78.653 MHz, H: 59.949 kHz, V: 75.694 Hz
37 geometry 1024 768 1024 768 16
38 timings 12714 128 32 16 4 128 4
39 accel true
40 rgba 5/10,5/5,5/0,0/0
41 endmode
42
43 localhost ~ # fbset -fb /dev/fb1
44
45 mode "1280x1024-60"
46 # D: 108.944 MHz, H: 63.599 kHz, V: 59.999 Hz
47 geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 32
48 timings 9179 217 79 32 1 137 3
49 vsync high
50 rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
51 endmode
52
53 If I try using the last mode the screen goes blank for
54 about a solid minute then reverts back to the first.
55
56 What's even more confusing is that in the .config I
57 have
58
59 CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="1280x1024-32@60".
60
61 Why doesn't it try that since now my command line has
62 just "video=vesafb" with *no* parameters at all? And
63 no complaints in dmesg.
64
65 mw
70 Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
71 Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search
72 http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz
73 --
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list