From: Nick <gentoo-user@××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] framebuffer questions
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:14:51
1 > But, this time, boom! Now everything is scrunched into
2 > the upper left hand corner of the screen. I've maxed
3 > out the settings in the screen control panel on the
4 > monitor itself and managed to move the text to a band
5 > down the center of the screen with margins of about
6 > two inches. Now instead of no margins, they're too
7 > big.
8 >
9 > ...
10 >
11 > mode "1024x768-76"
12 > # D: 78.653 MHz, H: 59.949 kHz, V: 75.694 Hz
13 > geometry 1024 768 1024 768 16
14 > timings 12714 128 32 16 4 128 4
15 > accel true
16 > rgba 5/10,5/5,5/0,0/0
17 > endmode
18
19 Okay, this is somewhat of a guess, but perhaps some of the timings
20 are incorrect, as this controls "margins" (see fbset manpage).
21
22 First it may be wise to change the first timing setting (pixclock)
23 to 0 (at least for now), as this'll auto-select that setting.
24
25 For the others, perhaps you could experiment with the settings
26 individually, using fbset, to get an idea of whether they may have a
27 part to play in this most odd problem. Something like "fbset -left
28 100".
29
30 > Another thing: doesn't the -a switch set (a)ll the
31 > consoles? Not in this instance.
32
33 Yes, it should, and does for me...
34
35 > What's even more confusing is that in the .config I
36 > have
37 >
38 > CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="1280x1024-32@60".
39 >
40 > Why doesn't it try that since now my command line has
41 > just "video=vesafb" with *no* parameters at all? And
42 > no complaints in dmesg.
43
44 As far as I can see it should... Hmm...
45
46 Sorry I can't be more help.
47
48 Good luck
49
50 -Nick
53 GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
54 GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F