From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Tools for putting HDD back to new state
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 18:40:04
1 On 04/03 02:11, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I probably should know this, but off the top of my head I don't
3 > remember ever running into anything like this.
4 >
5 > I'd like to do what ever is done to set a used disk back to the
6 > state it was in when new... Not sure what that state is, but at least
7 > no evidence of boot manager or fs having been installed.
8 >
9 > This if for something I'm doing on OS openindiana (a solaris offshoot)
10 > and the disks are for that OS.
11 >
12 > The solaris milieu is somewhat behind linux in development of tools at
13 > least in my opinion. That is why I'm asking here.
14 >
15 > I am a gentoo user as well, but expect I may have to boot the solaris
16 > host with one or another linux boot ISO in order to have the tools
17 > required.
21 Hi,
22
23 if I understand you correctly: You want the opposite of "Total Recall"
24 for your harddisk...You want "to remember nothing...ignorance is
25 bliss" (The Matrix) in case of your harddisk.
26
27 I would suggest to
28
29 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<yourharddiskdevice>
32 but!:
33
34 Vor example, your drive shows up as:
35
36 /dev/sdb
37 /dev/sdb1
38 /dev/sdb2
39 /dev/sdb3
40
41 you have to choose the raw device: /dev/sdb
42 (may be the partitions will not show up).
43
44 YOU CAN SHOOT YOUR OWN FEET-WARNING!
45 Be very careful here! You are acting as root here,
46 and choosing the wrong device will wipe the wrong
47 disk instantly.
48
49 Good luck!
50 Cheers
51 Meino
52
53 PS: I will not take any responsibility for
54 any command, which is not submitted by my own
55 hand -- and even then I will be unsure ;)