From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Eray Aslan <eray.aslan@×××××××.tr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 22:53:00
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 15:11 on Tuesday 07 September 2010, Eray Aslan
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 07.09.2010 15:29, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > I figure that just like a top-grade mechanic should be looking at SnapOns
6 > > or similar in his toolbox, this here sysadmin also needs high quality
7 > > tools. My chief tool is my notebook.
8 >
9 > It's the weight not the price that is the deciding factor us. I guess
10 > depends on how much traveling you do. There is no one final ultimate
11 > answer. It depends. Labeling low res solutions as "cheap crap" was
12 > uncalled for.
15 It is cheap crap as evidence by the lower quality of component used.
16
17 I could be nice and PC and say "budget range" instead but it's all the same
18 thing really.
19
20 And yes, I do own cheap crap machines myself. They definitely have their place
21 - like when I'm on vacation or at a barbecue while on standby over a weekend.
22 If they fall in the pool, it's 2k to replace not 20k.
23
24 But as a main work machine in my environment? No, they don't fit there.
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com