From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPv6 not ready here; Hmmm
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 20:28:58
1 On Thursday 09 Jun 2011 16:51:29 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >> BTW, Windows Vista and 7 generate randomized host IDs for public IPv6
4 > >> addresses, it's generally advised to disable that. You can do that by
5 > >> running this at administrator cmd prompt:
6 > >> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
7 > >
8 > > I was looking at the same in the Linux kernel scratching my head if I
9 > > should enable this or not ...
10 > >
11 > > What does it do - not sure I understand what such temporary addresses are
12 > > used for:
13 > > ============================================
14 > > IPv6: Privacy Extensions (RFC 3041) support
15 >
16 > > CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY:
17 > Sorry, I described the problem poorly. More specifically I should have
18 > said that it should be disabled because Windows does it /wrong/. :)
19 >
20 > In IPv6, link-local address is required (begins with fe80::) even when
21 > an internet-routable address exists. It is derived from your network
22 > prefix and your MAC address. Normally, the public IPv6 address also
23 > contains your MAC address. Every IPv6 interface is going to have at
24 > least 2 different addresses.
25 >
26 > Imagine a world where IPv6 is everywhere. You take your laptop home,
27 > to the cafe, to work, to a hotel on a business trip. Despite using
28 > different networks in each place, your MAC address will tie them all
29 > together. The governments and corporations are tracking this and now
30 > know even more about you. At least, that's what people worry about.
31 >
32 > In Linux, enabling the privacy extensions adds an additional,
33 > temporary IPv6 address to the interface, with a randomized "MAC" part,
34 > and it changes regularly (every hour or two? something like that). The
35 > link-local address still contains the MAC-based IPv6 address, and the
36 > standard routable IPv6 address is also available but not used by
37 > default for outgoing connections. So, inside your network, things are
38 > predictable and unchanging, which makes management of clients, routing
39 > of traffic, firewall rules, etc. easier to deal with. To the outside
40 > world, your IP address is constantly changing and can't be used to
41 > track you as easily as it would be if the MAC portion of the address
42 > were consistent.
43 >
44 > In Windows, however, when that option is enabled, they wrongly
45 > randomize ALL of the addresses, even the local, rather than just
46 > creating a temp random public address. Which means every time that
47 > machine reboots it's going to look like a new client on the local
48 > network, and any local network setup you have pertaining to a certain
49 > IP are going to be a pain to maintain. Depending on your usage, maybe
50 > that doesn't matter, but in general, on Windows machines, it's
51 > considered a buggy implementation and is undesired.
52 >
53 > In Linux, it should be absolutely fine to use. In your
54 > /etc/sysctl.conf you can add these lines to enable it on every
55 > interface by default, assuming you enabled in your kernel config:
56 >
57 > net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 2
58 > net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr = 2
59
60 Excellent explanation! Thank you. :-)
61
62 Now was it that difficult to add a couple of meaningful lines in the kernel
63 documentation, so that any other than the kernel hacker who wrote that module
64 would learn that its there to anonymise your ipv6 address for privacy
65 purposes?
66
67 I take it that loading this module would cut both ways. If I were to allow
68 connections to my server only for *my* IP address, then that would be quite
69 difficult to achieve if my IP address changed every few minutes.
70 --
71 Regards,
72 Mick