From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:42:17
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 05:59:24 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 04:12:59 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>>> I wonder if make.conf would be better in my case too? My use file
7 >>>> just grew my a huge amount.
8 >>> You package.use has grown by one filesystem block at most, how much
9 >>> extra disk space and CPU cycles would you use by compiling 32 bit
10 >>> options for every package that has them?
11 >> I wasn't worried about disk space, just that I rarely use entries in
12 >> that file. Heck, it's enough to manage the other package.* files
13 >> already.
14 > I wonder if it may have been better to update the multilib profiles to
15 > set the flag globally be default, it would make life easier and you could
16 > still turn it off if you wanted to.
17
18 I was wondering the same thing but I guess they have some reason for
19 doing it this way, that we don't know about it would seem. ;-)
20
21 >>> If you use a single file for package.use, it does make it far more
22 >>> cumbersome to manage, but that's why I switched to separate files many
23 >>> years ago.
24 >> I've tried separate files and having them all in one file. Either way,
25 >> each entry requires a person to manage it. For me at least, it's six of
26 >> one and half a dozen of the other. ;-)
27 > Actually, it's one big one vs six small ones :)
28 >
29 > I find the separate files much easier to manage as all the settings for
30 > each package are kept separate, and easily removed or changed - for
31 > example when I stop using the package. The alternative would be to
32 > comment every entry in the file so I know why I put it there and whether
33 > I still needed it.
37 What I ran into, I'd update say KDE. It would need some packages added
38 to the keyword file. Some may not be KDE but packages that KDE depends
39 on. Well, should those that are KDE go into the KDE file and the ones
40 that are dependencies but not KDE go into a file of its own or what? If
41 I split it, how do I keep up with it? If I don't split it, then I have
42 a larger file to deal with. After running in circles with that for a
43 while, I just went with one file and hoped for the best. lol
44
45 Dale
46