From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: updating ALL packages
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:18:52
1 On 07/23/2014 09:59 AM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 >
3 > This must be wrong since my procedure does sometimes offer to update
4 > non-world packages
5
6 ...
7
8 > I would still want to know if the executing the last emerge command is
9 > wise and also would like to understand what my update world procedure
10 > is actually doing.
11
12 I think all you're missing is the build-time dependencies. If one
13 package needs another (say, cmake) to build but not to run, then portage
14 won't update it by default when you update @world. You can change that
15 behavior by passing --with-bdeps to emerge.
16
17 From `man emerge`:
18
19 --with-bdeps < y | n >
20 In dependency calculations, pull in build time dependencies that
21 are not strictly required. This defaults to ´n´ for installation
22 actions, meaning they will not be installed, and ´y´ for the
23 --depclean action, meaning they will not be removed. This set‐
24 ting can be added to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS (see make.conf(5)) and
25 later overridden via the command line.