From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:14:42
1 On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 07:29:21PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
2
3 > SLAX is using KDE4 - and uses 200mb.
4 >
5 > KDE is flexible. If you have lots of memory, it does use lots of
6 > memory. If you don't it doesn't. So don't group it together with
7 > 'lets force mono unto our users - for a notes application' gnome or
8 > 'you can always add another 4gig' chrome.
9
10 What about 'lets force dbus/libmpeg2/qt-webkit/phonon and a relational
11 database on our users - for a pdf viewer'?
12
13 I have a stripped-down no-nonsense install on all my machines with the
14 USE variable beginning with "-*", and only necessary stuff being added.
15 When xpdf was deprecated, one of the suggested alternatives was
16 "okular". It requires qt3support, which in turn requires the
17 "accessibility" USE flag. And qt-gui is required which requires the
18 "dbus" flag. And oh yeah, I'd have to unmask dbus.
19
20 And dee first dependancy requires dee second dependancy
21 And dee second dependancy requires dee third dependancy
22 And dee third dependancy requires dee fourth dependancy
23 etc, etc, etc
24
25 After unmasking dbus and adding a bunch of USE flags, I finally got
26 rid of the emerge error messages...
27
28 USE="accessibility dbus glib qt3support sqlite gstreamer" emerge -p okular
29
30 Total: 59 packages (59 new), Size of downloads: 347,087 kB
31
32 A stinking pdf viewer requires, amongst other things...
33 libmpeg2 dbus desktop-file-utils strigi xdg-utils qt-webkit phonon
34
35 and *A RELATIONAL DATABASE* (Hello!?!?), of which the lightest available
36 is sqlite. Don't waste your time trying to convince me that KDE is
37 lightweight. I run ICEWM. See my sig...
40 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
41 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications