From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java vs icedtea6
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:17:25
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Daniel Campbell <dlcampbell@×××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/15/2013 11:32 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 16 January 2013 10:32:11 AM IST, Kevin Brandstatter wrote:
4 >>> I'm curious as well about the potential exploitability of icedtea. I
5 >>> would think that since the icedtea vm is not the same as the sun/oracle
6 >>> one and so I don't think the code base is the same, which would mean an
7 >>> exploit in the sun/oracle jvm would not necessarily affect icedtea.
8 >>> However, I know very little on this matter and seeing as i think both
9 >>> are open sourced i have no idea how much or if there is any code overlap.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Oracle Java is open source?
13 >>
14 >> --
15 >> Nilesh Govindarajan
16 >> http://nileshgr.com
19 > I was thinking the same thing. Last I knew, the VM is closed while the
20 > language is pretty much open.
21
22 IIRC, the VM spec is open, the implementation isn't. Further, the
23 supporting libraries are open (as in you can see them). The biggest
24 'closed' aspect is the pricey (and terms-restricting) certification
25 process to get a different implementation certified.
26
27 But I might be woefully out of date.
30 :wq