From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Playsound . . . won't!
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:48:10
1 On Monday 17 September 2007, Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Monday 17 September 2007 13:41:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > More like revdep-rebuild doesn't know how to build libOffFLAC anymore as
4 > > the ebuild that put it there isn't in portage anymore or masked or
5 > > keyworded or whatevered. I've seen this myself a time or three on my
6 > > own machines.
7 > >
8 > > There's nothing revdep-rebuild can do about this except shrug and leave
9 > > it alone, but the output could be more informative. Perhaps a feature
10 > > request in is order here
11 >
12 > revdep-rebuild doesn't work like that.
13 > If a binary is dynamically linked to a library that doesn't exist anymore,
14 > the package owning the binary is rebuilt, as portage is unlikely to know
15 > what package supplied a file that doesn't exist. The idea being the package
16 > will find and link against libraries that do exist.
17 >
18 > In this case it would seem that revdep-rebuild should be trying to emerge:
19 > media-libs/sdl-sound
20 > media-plugins/gst-plugins-flac
21 > media-plugins/gst-plugins-oss
22 > media-libs/akode
23
24 This is how I understood that is should work too. If for what ever reason it
25 doesn't rebuild the above packages itself, it should either say why (e.g.
26 keyword masked, Blocked, not in portage, etc.) and, or pass it on to me to
27 emerge/unmerge manually as required. I thought that invariably this is how
28 portage behave, hence this thread to resolve my confusion. Are we in
29 agreement that there is something wrong on this occasion - should I file a
30 bug? Or a 'feature request? Or wait until it happens again?
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick