From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Playsound . . . won't!
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:21:11
1 On Monday 17 September 2007 13:41:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > More like revdep-rebuild doesn't know how to build libOffFLAC anymore as
3 > the ebuild that put it there isn't in portage anymore or masked or
4 > keyworded or whatevered. I've seen this myself a time or three on my
5 > own machines.
6 >
7 > There's nothing revdep-rebuild can do about this except shrug and leave
8 > it alone, but the output could be more informative. Perhaps a feature
9 > request in is order here
10
11 revdep-rebuild doesn't work like that.
12 If a binary is dynamically linked to a library that doesn't exist anymore, the
13 package owning the binary is rebuilt, as portage is unlikely to know what
14 package supplied a file that doesn't exist. The idea being the package will
15 find and link against libraries that do exist.
16
17 In this case it would seem that revdep-rebuild should be trying to emerge:
18 media-libs/sdl-sound
19 media-plugins/gst-plugins-flac
20 media-plugins/gst-plugins-oss
21 media-libs/akode