From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious freezes when browsing Internet
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:40:03
1 On Donnerstag, 8. März 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 070306 Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 06 March 2007 21:22, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > >> During the past few months, I've been bit by sudden total freezes
5 > >> while using Epiphany & Konqueror to browse Internet sites.
6 > >> The only way out is to hit the reset button: eg Ctl-Alt-F2 doesn't work.
7 > >
8 > > The only time I had suffered similar symptoms (but different
9 > > applications) was when I had a bad memory problem. Memtest86 did not
10 > > show anything and it was only through trial and error that I found the
11 > > faulty module.
12 >
13 > I emerged Memtest86 & ran it -- it takes 1 hr for my 1 GB memory -- ,
14 > but I can't find anything to explain the output. It found 2 errors :
15 >
16 > ... 0000c6e37c0 198.1MB ...
17 > ... 0000d6e37a0 214.1MB ...
18 >
19 > I realise that these lines refer to hex locations, but I don't understand
20 > the reference to 'MB' (perhaps they're the same info in a different form).
21 > I have a note that :
22
23 yes it is the same info. MB = Megabyte. It says, that the errors are at 198,1
24 and 214,1MB.
25
26 The problem: memtest86 and memtest86+ both find sometimes errors that aren't
27 ones. Or don't find them, when there are some. Let it run several times to
28 make sure - and then replace the stick.
31 > To tell kernel not to use bad patch of memory, append via Lilo :
32 > 'badram=<m>,<n>', where m n are obtained via 'memtest'.
33 >
34 > However, the above lines don't give pairs of addresses, only 1 each.
35 >
36 > Yes, I did look at the official site & the installed README.
37 > Does anyone have further advice ?
38
39 yes, get new ram.
40 Everything else is not safe.