From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious freezes when browsing Internet
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 23:48:38
1 070306 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 06 March 2007 21:22, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> During the past few months, I've been bit by sudden total freezes
4 >> while using Epiphany & Konqueror to browse Internet sites.
5 >> The only way out is to hit the reset button: eg Ctl-Alt-F2 doesn't work.
6 > The only time I had suffered similar symptoms (but different applications)
7 > was when I had a bad memory problem. Memtest86 did not show anything
8 > and it was only through trial and error that I found the faulty module.
9
10 I emerged Memtest86 & ran it -- it takes 1 hr for my 1 GB memory -- ,
11 but I can't find anything to explain the output. It found 2 errors :
12
13 ... 0000c6e37c0 198.1MB ...
14 ... 0000d6e37a0 214.1MB ...
15
16 I realise that these lines refer to hex locations, but I don't understand
17 the reference to 'MB' (perhaps they're the same info in a different form).
18 I have a note that :
19
20 To tell kernel not to use bad patch of memory, append via Lilo :
21 'badram=<m>,<n>', where m n are obtained via 'memtest'.
22
23 However, the above lines don't give pairs of addresses, only 1 each.
24
25 Yes, I did look at the official site & the installed README.
26 Does anyone have further advice ?
27
28 Meanwhile, I plan to compile Kernel 2.6.20-gentoo ,
29 following the other piece of advice received.
30
31 I still suspect an obscure bug in Xorg-x11 .
32
33 Thanks for both suggestions.
37 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
38 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
39 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list