From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious freezes when browsing Internet
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:12:27
1 On Tuesday 06 March 2007 21:22, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > During the past few months, I've been bit by sudden total freezes
3 > while using Epiphany & Konqueror to browse Internet sites.
4 > The only way out is to hit the reset button: eg Ctl-Alt-F2 doesn't work.
5 >
6 > At first, I believed it was a bug in Epiphany, which is good to use,
7 > but not well-supported as KDE & Firefox. However yesterday,
8 > it happened in similar circumstances with Konqueror,
9 > which uses quite different libraries & rendering.
10 >
11 > It seems to happen when the browser is downloading images, esp adverts,
12 > & I simultaneously use the middle mouse button to click or scroll.
13 > I may have several news stories downloading in different tabs
14 > & I middle-click on a link to open another tab or scroll down a list
15 > & one of the other tabs is still downloading extra images.
16 > This is the only situation in which it happens.
17 >
18 > There are Forum threads covering other situations, which don't apply to me,
19 > & the only thread which is similar is
20 >
21 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-521365-highlight-random+freeze.html
22 >
23 > which does not offer any helpful advice.
24 > There are no bugs answering to 'Epiphany freeze' or 'Konqueror freeze'.
25 >
26 > I'm using Kernel 2.6.18-gentoo, KDE 3.5.6 , Epiphany 2.16.3 & Xorg-x11 7.1
27 > . Otherwise, my system is very stable & problem-free.
28 >
29 > Has anyone else run into this bizarre phenomenon ?
30 > Does anyone have useful suggestions ?
31
32 The only time I had suffered similar symptoms to what you are describing (but
33 with different applications) was when I had a bad memory problem. No sooner
34 had I changed the memory module, the freezes were gone. Memtest86 did not
35 show anything and it was only through trial and error that I found the faulty
36 module.
37
38 Good luck.
39 --