From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dns/bind-tools 9.14 -> 9.16 pulling in 17 new dependencies?!
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 04:40:34
1 On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 02:29:48AM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote
2 > On 2020-07-22, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > According to news item https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-06-24-xorg-server-dropping-default-suid.html
5 > >
6 > > * xorg-server will no longer be "suid" *BY DEFAULT*
7 > > * that means *THE DEFAULT* is to require a logind server like systemd
8 > > or elogind
9 > >
10 > > The news item also says...
11 > >
12 > >> Users who do not wish to use logind interface or have rare hardware
13 > >> that does not use KMS and because of that, require root privileges
14 > >> to operate, can manually re-enable 'suid' and disable 'elogind' USE
15 > >> flags in order to preserve the previous behavior.
16 >
17 > Yes, that's what I did months ago, and everything worked fine with
18 > Xorg using the "suid" flag and without consolekit or elogind -- until
19 > this morning, when pam refused to upgrade unless I set the elogind USE
20 > flag.
21
22 The news item said that to retain old behaviour you need to do *BOTH*
23 - set x11-base/xorg-server suid (which I did in package.use)
24 - set "-elogind" (which I did in USE in make.conf)
25
26 BTW, I have pam totally masked out...
27
28 [i660][root][~] cat /etc/portage/package.mask/package.mask
29 sys-apps/pv
30 sys-auth/pambase
31 sys-libs/pam
32 virtual/pam
33
34 Years ago, back when pam was default on the Gentoo install, it was to
35 many users what HAL was to Dale, causing problems galore. The root of
36 the problem was that pam provided "enhanced security" for some apps by
37 changing to a different config file for the app, using different config
38 specs. You could run "man <appname>" and do all the Google searches you
39 wanted, but you always ended up with instructions for configuring the
40 "un-pam-ified" version, not the "pam-ified" version. "Everything you
41 know is wrong". So I fell into the habit of removing pam right after
42 installation.
43
44 And the reason I mask out "sys-apps/pv" is because too many times when
45 I want to run "emerge -pv <appname>" I did "emerge pv <appname>" which
46 has a *TOTALLY* different meaning.
49 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
50 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications