From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] changed motherboard, no AHCI
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:45:06
1 On 04/21/2012 10:02:26 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 120421 pk wrote:
3 > > On 2012-04-21 04:12, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > >> It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :
5 > > the chipset on that mobo is G41 (released in 2008) and it combines
6 > > with ICH7 which unfortunately doesn't seem to support AHCI.
7 >
8 > That's important to hear, but it can't be a show-stopper,
9 > as the 3 other Linux distro's I've mentioned have no problem.
10 > I tried compiling AHCI as [M], which is what Mandriva + Ubuntu do,
11 > but it makes no difference. There must be some other setting
12 > their kernels use to identify the drive, which mine doesn't have set.
13 > Can anyone suggest what other settings to try ?
14 > I've looked at their kernel .config files, but nothing jumps out.
15 >
16 > At least, I've managed to compile + install a kernel
17 > in a chroot using System Rescue, which I hadn't done before !
20 Boot your system e.g. with SystemRescueCD
21
22 then do lspci -k
23
24 this shows you which module is in use.
25 Then build your own kernel with this module.
26
27 Helmut.