From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software emulation of angled arrow keys on Lenovo Thinkpad?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 21:58:48
1 On 2022.08.24 17:21, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 01:07:52PM -0400, Jack wrote
3 >
4 > > On my keyboard, those corner keys on the keypad are End, PgDn, PgUp,
5 > > and NumLock, all of which have their own keys elsewhere on the
6 > > keyboard.. When you say angled arrow keys, do you mean that
7 > literally,
8 > > or are you just talking about the corner keys of the keypad? I
9 > don't
10 > > recall ever seeng a literal angled arrow on a keyboard.
11 >
12 > No literal arrows. But an old OS/2 game I enjoy, treats the numeric
13 > keypads as...
14 > {HOME} ==> move up and to the left
15 > {PgUp} ==> move up and to the right
16 > {END} ==> move down and to the left
17 > {PgDn} ==> move down and to the right
18 >
19 > I have tried {HOME}, {PgUp}, {END}, {PgDn} on the Thinkpad but the
20 > game did not respond. If I attach a big clunky regular USB keyboard,
21 > it
22 > works as expected.
23
24 Ah - I expect the game is interpreting keycodes fairly directly. You
25 can use xev (or similar) to find what the various keys are currently
26 producing, and there must be some (Xorg related) program to translate
27 them to whatever the program is expecting - perhaps determined by using
28 xev with a "proper" keyboard. Wasn't there an early rogue-like game
29 that used some of the main keys in the same way, but without invoking
30 the numeric keypad?