From: "Florian Gamböck" <ml@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netifrc, configure by SSID and MAC simultaneously?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 13:18:21
1 Hi Peter!
2
3 On 2017-04-21 13:53, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > Have you considered spending a little money, ditching the router and
5 > substituting one that you can control? Reasonably capable routers
6 > aren't expensive.
7
8 Yes, I have considered this. But this is a router by my internet
9 provider, especially configured to work at my place. It uses optical
10 fibers instead of RJ11. I don't even have dial-in or log-in data, since
11 it was already pre-configured.
12
13 I guess I cannot simply "ditch" the router. But yes, if I am out of
14 options, I could always buy another router, connect it to my main router
15 and just use this new one for connecting my devices.
16
17 But I also want to think about situations, where I need static IP
18 addresses and I cannot access the router configuration. For example, if
19 I need to configure a certain embedded device, which is only accessible
20 via an IP in another subnet, then I could dedicate a NIC for the sole
21 purpose to receive a static IP in this particular subnet, but only if I
22 am connected in my home network.
23
24 I prefer general solutions over quickfixes which just work for one
25 particular case.
26
27 But nevertheless, thanks for your suggestion!
30 Kind regards
31
32 Flo