From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:35:49
1 Hi Edward,
2
3 Grant Edwards wrote:
4
5 > On 2010-09-30, Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Grant Edwards
7 >><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>>> Do you have some custom css stylesheets that override the default or
10 >>>> something?
11 >>>
12 >>> Nope. Not that I know of. I presume I'd have to do something I'd
13 >>> likely remember
14 >>
15 >> Yes, you would definitely remember if you did it...
16 >>
17 >> Anyway, I think perhaps we must be running considerably different
18 >> resolutions and text sizes...
19 >
20 > I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm apparently seeing a significantly
21 > larger "fixed" font than you are (as a percentage of screen width).
22 > For whatever reason, a lot of sites like to use a low-contrast color
23 > scheme for things like listing blocks. For example, Gentoos uses
24 > medium-blue on light-blue (violet?). I find that hard to read when
25 > the font gets too small.
26 >
27 >> playing around here a bit more and you are correct, the text will
28 >> only reformat to the width of the longest code block before the
29 >> horizontal scroll appears. On the "Creating a Cross-Compiler" page
30 >> you linked to the longest code block is still only half the width of
31 >> my screen, so it's not really a problem on my system.
32 >
33 > I could reduce the minimum size of my "fixed" font, but that only
34 > helps until the next web page comes along with an even wider code
35 > block.
36
37 Try a different fixed font. At the end I've chosen "Monotype", because it
38 seems to have the narrowest well-readable letters.
39
40 > The basic problem is that the width of the normal text paragraphs is
41 > dependent on the width of the code blocks. IMO, that's not right[1],
42 > but whether or not it can be fixed depends somewhat on the document
43 > formatting system in use.
44 >
45 > [1] As somebody who's been using TeX/LaTeX for 25 years, I'm probably
46 > inordinately picky about typesetting issues.
47
48 - Jörg