From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:24:15
1 On 2010-09-30, Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Do you have some custom css stylesheets that override the default or
6 >>> something?
7 >>
8 >> Nope. Not that I know of. I presume I'd have to do something I'd
9 >> likely remember
10 >
11 > Yes, you would definitely remember if you did it...
12 >
13 > Anyway, I think perhaps we must be running considerably different
14 > resolutions and text sizes...
15
16 I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm apparently seeing a significantly
17 larger "fixed" font than you are (as a percentage of screen width).
18 For whatever reason, a lot of sites like to use a low-contrast color
19 scheme for things like listing blocks. For example, Gentoos uses
20 medium-blue on light-blue (violet?). I find that hard to read when
21 the font gets too small.
22
23 > playing around here a bit more and you are correct, the text will
24 > only reformat to the width of the longest code block before the
25 > horizontal scroll appears. On the "Creating a Cross-Compiler" page
26 > you linked to the longest code block is still only half the width of
27 > my screen, so it's not really a problem on my system.
28
29 I could reduce the minimum size of my "fixed" font, but that only
30 helps until the next web page comes along with an even wider code
31 block.
32
33 The basic problem is that the width of the normal text paragraphs is
34 dependent on the width of the code blocks. IMO, that's not right[1],
35 but whether or not it can be fixed depends somewhat on the document
36 formatting system in use.
37
38 [1] As somebody who's been using TeX/LaTeX for 25 years, I'm probably
39 inordinately picky about typesetting issues.
42 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I have a TINY BOWL in
43 at my HEAD
44 gmail.com