From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cyrus-sasl necessary with localhost webmail?
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:52:25
1 On 28 March 2013, at 21:53, Grant wrote:
2
3 >> I recently switched from Thunderbird to Roundcube (highly
4 >> recommended), switched to the non-SSL courier daemon, and plugged the
5 >> firewall hole since courier resides on the same system as my web
6 >> server. Do I still need cyrus-sasl or will a webmail client
7 >> authenticate directly with courier?
8 >
9 > Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to run cyrus-sasl between courier
10 > and a webmail client if they're on the same machine?
11
12 I have a very old installation of net-mail/courier-imap
13
14 I don't believe I have ever run cyrus-sasl on it. I have accessed this system via Squirrelmail, IMAP and (I think) IMAP-over-SSL.
15
16 I find now that I have net-libs/courier-authlib installed.
17
18 Things may have changed considerably since I installed this system, a long time ago, but there used to be two separate packages net-mail/courier-imap and mail-mta/courier. I think courier-imap was just the IMAP server, split off from the larger mail-mta/courier, which was the full package from upstream and which included some other stuff.
19
20 Last time I looked at this, dovecot seemed superior to courier, and worked very well for me when I installed it for someone else. I was able to configure it with PAM, to authenticate via Samba from a windows domain controller. I remember the developer of dovecot as really helpful - I think I had a problem and he produced a patch which fixed it within 24 hours.
21
22 I have it in mind to replace courier with dovecot when I get around to replacing my current mail server.
23
24 Stroller.