From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] Computer turn itself off
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 09:51:08
1 On Sun, 24 May 2015 10:09:58 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > I went to pickup the remote box and look at it; the CPU fan stop
4 > > working. The CPU heat sink is big so in idle mode it could keep up
5 > > with cooling it but under heavy load "compiling anything" the CPU was
6 > > overheating.
7 >
8 > Ha! So the fan speeds showing zero was true. :-)
9
10 Yes, zero fan speed and high temperatures should be inventigated before
11 being written of as misconfigured sensors.
12
13 > Often they start rattling before they fail.
14
15 They'd have to rattle pretty loudly on a remote box to warn you of
16 impending failure ;-)
17
18 > I found that peeling off
19 > the self adhesive label in the middle and applying a single drop of
20 > thin oil on the bearing restores them to rude health. I have one here
21 > which is still running quietly for five years since my intervention
22 > with an oil can.
23
24 Given the cheapness of the fan and the price of the component it
25 protects, is it worth taking a risk?
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.