From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] Computer turn itself off
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 10:11:52
1 On Sunday 24 May 2015 10:50:53 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > > I found that peeling off
3 > > the self adhesive label in the middle and applying a single drop of
4 > > thin oil on the bearing restores them to rude health. I have one here
5 > > which is still running quietly for five years since my intervention
6 > > with an oil can.
7 >
8 > Given the cheapness of the fan and the price of the component it
9 > protects, is it worth taking a risk?
10
11 Right, but talking about cheapness of components, I had nearly new fans making
12 a noise that they shouldn't be making. I've even returned relatively
13 expensive aftermarket coolers because they were poorly manufactured with
14 uneven contact surface for the CPU. What I'm saying is that in today's world
15 of mass marketing and el-cheapo manufacturing, where shaving a penny is a
16 strategy applied not only on the workers' wages but also on the materials and
17 manufacturing process, we are left doing QA ourselves or keeping both pieces
18 of whatever breaks.
21 Regards,
22 Mick