From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 11:26:47
1 On Mon, 04 May 2015 05:40:25 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > You only need to upload it once, so it doesn't really matter how long
4 > > it takes. After that you do incremental backups. I use
5 > > app-backup/duplicity which not only takes care of incremental backups
6 > > and communicating with S3, but also encrypts everything with GPG. No
7 > > one would know you were uploading goat porn :)
8
9 > It may be only once but it would be a very large once plus I'm on my
10 > puter a lot.
11
12 You have to sleep some time, your computer doesn't :)
13
14 > Uploading slows my surfing to almost a dead stop. Newegg
15 > is a nightmare for me to surf on. Slowest thing I ever seen. Newegg
16 > isn't alone tho.
17
18 As long as you restrict the upload speed to around 80-80% of your
19 available upstream bandwidth, it shouldn't affect downloading
20 significantly. It's when you saturate the upstream that your downloads
21 are affected.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Computer apathy error: don't bother striking any key.