From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 10:40:36
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 04 May 2015 03:23:48 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> What
5 >>>> I wish, I had a second puter in a outbuilding that I could copy to
6 >>>> over ethernet or something. May help in the event of a house fire
7 >>>> etc.
8 >>> You have, it's called Amazon S3 :) It's a lot cheaper than a second
9 >>> computer, and a lot more reliable.
10 >> My internet is way to slow for that. It would take weeks maybe a month
11 >> to upload all this stuff. I have DSL but it is the basic package. If I
12 >> were on cable or had a real fast DSL, maybe. Thing is, I really don't
13 >> want some of my stuff on the internet anyway. ;-)
14 > You only need to upload it once, so it doesn't really matter how long it
15 > takes. After that you do incremental backups. I use app-backup/duplicity
16 > which not only takes care of incremental backups and communicating with
17 > S3, but also encrypts everything with GPG. No one would know you were
18 > uploading goat porn :)
23 It may be only once but it would be a very large once plus I'm on my
24 puter a lot. Uploading slows my surfing to almost a dead stop. Newegg
25 is a nightmare for me to surf on. Slowest thing I ever seen. Newegg
26 isn't alone tho.
27
28 Dale
29