From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 10:32:05
1 On Mon, 04 May 2015 03:23:48 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> What
4 > >> I wish, I had a second puter in a outbuilding that I could copy to
5 > >> over ethernet or something. May help in the event of a house fire
6 > >> etc.
7 > >
8 > > You have, it's called Amazon S3 :) It's a lot cheaper than a second
9 > > computer, and a lot more reliable.
10
11 > My internet is way to slow for that. It would take weeks maybe a month
12 > to upload all this stuff. I have DSL but it is the basic package. If I
13 > were on cable or had a real fast DSL, maybe. Thing is, I really don't
14 > want some of my stuff on the internet anyway. ;-)
15
16 You only need to upload it once, so it doesn't really matter how long it
17 takes. After that you do incremental backups. I use app-backup/duplicity
18 which not only takes care of incremental backups and communicating with
19 S3, but also encrypts everything with GPG. No one would know you were
20 uploading goat porn :)
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 When there's a will, I want to be in it.