From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 08:23:59
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 04 May 2015 02:39:10 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I wasn't suggesting symlinks, just LVs mounted at appropriate points.
5 >>> It rather depends on the spread of Dale's data. If he just needs
6 >>> extra space for his videos, he could get a new drive and mount it at
7 >>> ~/videos.
8 >>
9 >> The bulk of the space is used by the videos. It's everything from TV
10 >> shows to movies to youtube howtos. I'm using roughly 1.8TB on the drive
11 >> and the videos take up roughly 1.7TB of that space. My camera pics only
12 >> use 21GBs of space. Rest is basically a rounding error. :/
13 >
14 > You need to separate those anyway, for backup purposes. Anything you
15 > downloaded, you can usually download again, so you only need a list of
16 > the files to be able to find them again.
17 >
18 > On the other hand, you photos are irreplaceable and need to be backed up.
19
20 Well, some videos aren't available either. I'd hate to know I had to
21 find some of the ones that are available. Some take some diggin IF I
22 can even remember some of them.
23
24 My pics I backup to DVDs, two sets just in case. I keep those in a
25 outbuilding. If everything here burns, I'm likely gone anyway.
30 >> I really do need to set up RAID at least for some stuff that I may not
31 >> be able to get back. Some videos I have are no longer available.
32 >
33 > RAID is not a backup solution.
34
35 True but at least it would help if a drive fails. I've been there a
36 couple times.
40 >> What
41 >> I wish, I had a second puter in a outbuilding that I could copy to over
42 >> ethernet or something. May help in the event of a house fire etc.
43 >
44 > You have, it's called Amazon S3 :) It's a lot cheaper than a second
45 > computer, and a lot more reliable.
50 My internet is way to slow for that. It would take weeks maybe a month
51 to upload all this stuff. I have DSL but it is the basic package. If I
52 were on cable or had a real fast DSL, maybe. Thing is, I really don't
53 want some of my stuff on the internet anyway. ;-)
54
55 I'll come up with something tho.
56
57 Dale