From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 07:46:35
1 On Mon, 04 May 2015 02:39:10 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > I wasn't suggesting symlinks, just LVs mounted at appropriate points.
4 > > It rather depends on the spread of Dale's data. If he just needs
5 > > extra space for his videos, he could get a new drive and mount it at
6 > > ~/videos.
7 >
8 > The bulk of the space is used by the videos. It's everything from TV
9 > shows to movies to youtube howtos. I'm using roughly 1.8TB on the drive
10 > and the videos take up roughly 1.7TB of that space. My camera pics only
11 > use 21GBs of space. Rest is basically a rounding error. :/
12
13 You need to separate those anyway, for backup purposes. Anything you
14 downloaded, you can usually download again, so you only need a list of
15 the files to be able to find them again.
16
17 On the other hand, you photos are irreplaceable and need to be backed up.
18
19 > I really do need to set up RAID at least for some stuff that I may not
20 > be able to get back. Some videos I have are no longer available.
21
22 RAID is not a backup solution.
23
24 > What
25 > I wish, I had a second puter in a outbuilding that I could copy to over
26 > ethernet or something. May help in the event of a house fire etc.
27
28 You have, it's called Amazon S3 :) It's a lot cheaper than a second
29 computer, and a lot more reliable.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Two rights don't make a wrong, they make an airplane.