From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 11:35:22
1 On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:31 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 04 May 2015 03:23:48 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> >> What
5 >> >> I wish, I had a second puter in a outbuilding that I could copy to
6 >> >> over ethernet or something. May help in the event of a house fire
7 >> >> etc.
8 >> >
9 >> > You have, it's called Amazon S3 :) It's a lot cheaper than a second
10 >> > computer, and a lot more reliable.
11 >
12 >> My internet is way to slow for that. It would take weeks maybe a month
13 >> to upload all this stuff. I have DSL but it is the basic package. If I
14 >> were on cable or had a real fast DSL, maybe. Thing is, I really don't
15 >> want some of my stuff on the internet anyway. ;-)
16 >
17 > You only need to upload it once, so it doesn't really matter how long it
18 > takes. After that you do incremental backups. I use app-backup/duplicity
19 > which not only takes care of incremental backups and communicating with
20 > S3, but also encrypts everything with GPG. No one would know you were
21 > uploading goat porn :)
22
23 I tend to use a few strategies.
24
25 Typical stuff in /home, /etc: duplicity daily backups to S3. It is
26 small, and safe. Oh, and it is all on RAID too, which reduces the
27 risk of needing to actually restore it (RAID is primarily about
28 downtime, not backup). Encryption keys are burned to multiple CDs and
29 stored in multiple safe places.
30
31 Photos and other valuable media: Also gets the duplicity S3
32 treatment, but after every few GB I do a one-time upload to Glacier
33 and then remove it from my daily backups. This stuff is write-once,
34 so backing it up daily is overkill. When S3 was more expensive I
35 would burn two copies to DVD and store offsite, but that became a PITA
36 and Amazon is a lot cheaper now. If I ever need to restore it it is
37 unlikely I'd need it all at once, so I can do so slowly and not get
38 killed by fees.
39
40 MythTV recordings, random video from internet, etc: btrfs raid plus a
41 second daily rsync to ext4 (still local). The rsync is only because
42 I'm still in playing-around mode with btrfs. Once I trust it fully
43 I'll drop it and just rely on the RAID. I'd be annoyed if I lost all
44 this stuff, but only for a week or two. Trying to properly back up
45 multiple TB of media is just way too expensive and this stuff just
46 isn't valuable enough to care about.
47
48 I structure my filesystem around my backup strategy. All the stuff I
49 really care about is in /home. Stuff I don't care so much about goes
50 outside of /home and is symlinked back in where necessary. So, I
51 don't need to play around with too many exclusion rules.
54 Rich