From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Force an ebuild in DEPEND to be merged
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 13:03:33
1 On Saturday 03 May 2008, Henry Gebhardt wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Alan McKinnon
3 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Reason: I use cvs-e17 and all ebuilds have version -9999 but they
5 > > change daily. To update e17, one must checkout and rebuild
6 > > everything as portage has no way of knowing what must be updated.
7 > > So I have a script with 92 emerge commands in it... This clutters
8 > > world unnecessarily.
9 >
10 > Hm, --oneshot comes to mind... Anything against using that?
11
12 Only that I would rather put the dependencies in an ebuild than in a
13 launch script - purely because it's easier to maintain that way.
14
15 Once upon a time I did have such a script, something like this:
16
17 BUILD_LIST=eet
18 BUILD_LIST=${BUILD_LIST} evas
19 BUILD_LIST=${BUILD_LIST} ecore
20 ... <89 similar statements>
21 emerge -av1 ${BUILD_LIST}
22 emerge -av e
23
24 The last two emerges are just a kludge to avoid cluttering world and to
25 avoid --depclean going insane on me.
26
27 This is all so much cleaner doing it the way portage was designed to be
28 used, except when evas-9999 gets a massive update and portage has no
29 way of knowing it should rebuild evas
33 > I've never heard of such a thing. I think paludis can automatically
34 > rebuild live ebuilds daily or once a week. However, not sure if it
35 > works with -9999 version numbers, or if it needs them as -scm.
36
37 I keep threatening to use paludis :-) This warrants some investigation.
38
39 Thanks,
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com