From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] default user permissions
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:44:35
1 Am 25.03.2010 09:50, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Thursday 25 March 2010 10:26:25 Hinko Kocevar wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> Where is defined what permissions will the newly created folder/file
6 >> have by default?
7 >
8 > This is done by the umask of the user creating the folder.
12 >> Eg. When creating a folder I would like it to have permissions right
13 >> after it is created, to void use of chmod/chown afterwards:
14 >>
15 >> drwxrwxr-x 2 hinko users 4096 Mar 25 09:23 folder1
16 >>
17 >> while now I get only:
18 >> drwxr-xr-x 2 hinko users 4096 Mar 25 09:23 folder1
19 >>
20 >> That is group should have 'w' set.
23 > This is a common misunderstanding about permissions and the Unix philosophy
24 > about them, which is:
25 >
26 > It's up to the user, not the system, to say what permissions he wants on new
27 > filesystem objects.
28 >
29 > Modifing the user's umask is not advised, as this is global. *Every* new file
30 > or dir then ends up with g+w and you probably don't want that.
31 >
32 > You need to use Posix ACLs for this, and your file system and kernel must
33 > support them; you configure it per directory. It's all in man pages and on
34 > google - better start reading.
35 >
36 > Be warned though: you *will* forget you set this, and *will* wonder in future
37 > why g+w is set in various places. "ls" gives precious little clue that an ACL
38 > is in place.
39 >
40 > I find that in real life, a "find -exec chmod" in a cron is a better solution
43 To avoid ACLs and still have group rw rights on some folders for
44 specific groups, you can make use of the 'user private group' scheme and
45 the setgid bit: [1].
46
47 Gentoo uses this scheme per default, although I think the umask setting
48 is different (has to be 002 or 007).
49
50 What Alan forgot to tell is where to set the umask: /etc/profile. Don't
51 use too strict settings because these are also applied to system
52 accounts. This can easily break your system.
53
54 [1]
55 http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-users-groups-private-groups.html
56