From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] microcode applied?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 07:31:40
1 On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 00:15:03 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 8 January 2018 10:29:41 GMT Max Zettlmeißl wrote:
3 > > > How do you build the microcode into the kernel? The only
4 > > > place I can see to do that in menuconfig is under Device Drivers;
5 > > > there's no such field under Firmware.
6 > >
7 > > The Device Drivers section is exactly where the microcode is included.
8 > > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE is the relevant symbol.
9 >
10 > Right. So which of the 95 files under /lib/firmware/intel-ucode do I
11 > specify? That's in addition to the 14 files I have for my amdgpu.
12
13 There may be a cleverer way, but this is how I have been doing it.
14
15 Install sys-apps/iucode_tool. Run:
16
17 # iucode_tool -S
18
19 It will report the microcode signature for your CPU. For example, one of
20 mine:
21
22 iucode_tool: system has processor(s) with signature 0x000106e5
25 (Re)emerge sys-firmware/intel-microcode and capture all its output. Then
26 search for the above signature, again from the same CPU, as an example, this
27 matches:
28
29 intel-ucode/06-1e-05
30 signature: 0x106e5 <==
31 flags: 0x13
32 revision: 0x07
33 date: 2013-08-20
37 Add the first line above in your CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE and rebuild your
38 kernel.
41 Regards,
42 Mick