From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 05:52:55
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:52:15 -0330, Roger Mason wrote:
6 >>>> I would like to backup some stuff and can't quite find a program to
7 >>>> use. I'm looking for something that can backup to CD or DVD and can
8 >>>> span them over more than one CD if needed. Some of what I have will
9 >>>> require several CDs. It would be nice if it would tar it or zip it
10 >>>> but it is not required. I searched using equery and emerge -s but I
11 >>>> can't seem to find much. Oh, GUI would be nice too.
12 >>>>
15 >>> I think dar (it's in portage) can do this: I've never used it myself.
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> There's also kdar, a GUI for dar that also writes the split archives to
19 >> CD/DVD.
22 > I read about that one but I was not sure it would span across CDs.
23 > That's nice to know.
24 >
25 > Thanks
26 >
27 > :-) :-) :-)
28
29 OK. I downloaded Kdar so far. It was smaller and I'm on dial-up. Does
30 these programs preserve file permissions? On some of what I plan to
31 back up it won't matter but if I do a system back up then it will of course.
32
33 Just curious if anyone knows about this question.
34
35 Dale
36