From: Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: When did bzImage move?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:27:05
1 >who needs an initramfs?
2
3 Not me ;)
4
5 But seeing this discussion, I've finally realised that I'm a dumbass.
6 For ages now I've been manually copying the kernel, the system.map and
7 the config around my filesystem. I've always wondered how on earth
8 people manage who do a lot of kernel testing without exploding due to
9 frustration. Now I know... :)
10
11 But out of curiosity, and to recap:
12
13 I can set the version, either in the kernel config with
14 CONFIG_LOCALVERSION
15 or by using a file
16 localversion
17 containing a version string?
18
19 Does this then create a bzImage-versionstring file, and make install
20 copies this to /boot/kernel-versionstring (and system.map and .config
21 respectably)?
22
23 Also how exactly do you then need to build the kernel.
24 Does a simple 'make' suffice?
25
26 Tom