From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: When did bzImage move?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:34:26
1 On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Tom wrote:
2 > >who needs an initramfs?
3 >
4 > Not me ;)
5 >
6 > But seeing this discussion, I've finally realised that I'm a dumbass.
7 > For ages now I've been manually copying the kernel, the system.map and
8 > the config around my filesystem. I've always wondered how on earth
9 > people manage who do a lot of kernel testing without exploding due to
10 > frustration. Now I know... :)
11 >
12 > But out of curiosity, and to recap:
13 >
14 > I can set the version, either in the kernel config with
15 > CONFIG_LOCALVERSION
16 > or by using a file
17 > localversion
18 > containing a version string?
19
20 I am using the first way, don't know the second.
23 > Does this then create a bzImage-versionstring file, and make install
24 > copies this to /boot/kernel-versionstring (and system.map and .config
25 > respectably)?
26
27 vmlinuz-versionstring.
30 > Also how exactly do you then need to build the kernel.
31 > Does a simple 'make' suffice?
32
33 I use:
34 make all modules_install install.