From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:09:42
1 Andrea Conti wrote:
2 >> So, before I find a SDD to buy, what are some things I should look for
3 >> it to have and what are things I should avoid?
4 >
5 > I think the single most important thing is buying stuff from a
6 > reputable brand (there's quite a number of those by now). Look at
7 > reviews. Top-tier performance probably isn't going to matter much for
8 > daily use, but I'd still look for a drive with a good warranty and a
9 > high write endurance rating, even if it commands a premium.
10 >
11 > Avoid drives based on QLC flash (they still have reliability and
12 > performance issues, and frankly prices aren't that great either).
13 >
14 > Most NVMe drives can only be booted from in UEFI mode (*), so if for
15 > any reason you still need to boot from an SSD in legacy BIOS mode --
16 > stay safe and go for SATA or be sure to buy from a place with a good
17 > return policy.
18 >
19 > (*) boot-time NVMe access relies on a boot ROM carried on the drive,
20 > and most (all?) drives only have a UEFI ROM. While some UEFI firmwares
21 > claim to have a "universal NVMe driver", my experience with those has
22 > not been good.
23
24 My mobo is just old enough to not support NVMe drives.  I checked on
25 that a while back.  It'll be old school SDDs, well, the ones that mount
26 hardware wise like HDDs anyway.  It's not like SDDs are really that old.
27
28 Avoid flash.  Got it.  A couple I looked at mentioned NAND.  I'm
29 somewhat familiar with AND/NAND gates so I think those are different
30 from flash.  That helps.
34 >> While at it, if I look for a NAS type HDD, would all those be PMR
35 >> instead of SMR?
36 >
37 > I would expect any SMR drives sold at retail (i.e. not in USB boxes or
38 > the like) to be clearly marked as such, since they are a niche product
39 > with abysmal performance on common workloads.
40 >
41 > You're not going to silently get SMR drives in a NAS product line.
44 That's why I'm searching for a NAS drive.  I figure that should weed out
45 SMR drives pretty quickly.  I don't mind it to much on my backup drive
46 but I'm hoping to get rid of the one I have for /home and expand a bit.
47 I may buy a 8TB drive and replace the 6TB drive that I currently have
48 that is SMR.  Later, I'll replace the 3TB with either a 6TB or 8TB
49 drive.  Since my external drive is 8TBs, I may have to recompute my
50 backup drive situation.  I'm likely to hit a few walls on that.
51
52 Plus, NAS drives are designed more for my usage anyway.  I have my
53 system on 24/7.  It's rare that I reboot since I run my TV off this rig
54 plus am always downloading stuff.  Heck, if it wasn't for updates to KDE
55 and friends, I wouldn't even logout very often.
58 >>   From my understanding that should be correct.  Mostly I
59 >> buy WD, Seagate and Samsung.  I've had a WD fail, I've had a Seagate
60 >> fail. I'm not looking for a HDD flame up.  O_o  I'm starting to look at
61 >> HGST.  I think I got the spelling correct.  Never had one tho.
62 >
63 > While Seagate seems to be the current leader in selling crap, I've had
64 > all kind of drives die on me. Most notable are a couple of high-end
65 > WDs literally going up in smoke some years ago, and an HGST going
66 > belly up with a good impression of a machine gun just the other day.
67 >
68 > In general I've had good luck with 3TB HGST and Toshiba drives, though
69 > the Toshibas I have are really HGST drives rebranded following a round
70 > of company mergers and subsequent antitrust-driven spinoffs.
71 >
72 > WD Enterprise drives are quite good, but they do command a sizable
73 > premium.
74 >
75 > I've not had any experience with "NAS" drives, nor with modern
76 > helium-filled high-capacity drives. Apart from the unit price, I don't
77 > need that much space and I'm not particularly keen on having that much
78 > data go poof if a single device decides to stop working.
79 >
80 > andrea
84 Yea, I've experienced the same here.  What I've learned about hard
85 drives is this, they break, regardless of brands.  That said, there is
86 some batches that prove to be problems but other than that, it's just a
87 matter of time.  None of them are designed to last forever.  Even tho
88 I've had a WD fail before, I still think they are very good.  I just
89 avoid those that are not made to handle my usage, being on 24/7 plus
90 lots of read/writes.
91
92 Thanks much for the info.  Avoid flash.  NAS should avoid SMR drives.
93
94 Dale
95