From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 13:35:45
1 > My mobo is just old enough to not support NVMe drives.  I checked on
2 > that a while back.  It'll be old school SDDs, well, the ones that mount
3 > hardware wise like HDDs anyway.  It's not like SDDs are really that old.
4 We're talking about interface standards here, not form factors. SATA
5 drives use the good old SATA interface and for all intents and purposes
6 look just like HDDs to the BIOS and OS.
7 NVMe drives have an onboard controller that attaches directly to the PCI
8 express bus and use a completely different programming model for access.
9
10 Most consumer-grade 2.5" SSDs (those that "mount like HDDs") are SATA,
11 while board-mounted M.2 ("gumstick") drives can be either SATA or NVMe,
12 as the M.2 connector supports both standards.
13
14 If you have no M.2 connectors, you're safely stuck with SATA drives.
15
16 > Avoid flash.  Got it.  A couple I looked at mentioned NAND.  I'm
17 > somewhat familiar with AND/NAND gates so I think those are different
18 > from flash.
19
20 "NAND flash" (as opposed to "NOR flash") refers to the way memory cells
21 are organized and connected. See for example
22 https://www.embedded.com/flash-101-nand-flash-vs-nor-flash/
23
24 AFAIK all SSDs use some variant of NAND flash.
25
26 andrea