From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: DNS Issues [Was: [gentoo-user] Re: Slow Login, Sudo, etc.]
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:54:16
1 On 13 October 2010 20:00, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:17:02PM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:59:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >>> >
7 >>> >> Seriously, just use wicd, dump the rest.
8 >>> >
9 >>> > +1
10 >>>
11 >>> Call me old-fashioned, I use wpa_supplicant. :)
12 >>
13 >> Actually, I'll call you confused :)
14 >
15 > You are probably right. :) In my brain I was only thinking about
16 > wireless networks. It never occurred to me to need network management
17 > for wired connections as well (I've never had any need for it so it
18 > didn't enter my mind).
19 >
20 > All I've ever done with wired network is enable dhcp in
21 > /etc/conf.d/net and install ifplugd. For wireless I enable
22 > wpa_supplicant module in /etc/conf.d/net and add the networks either
23 > manually to the config file or by using wpa_supplicant's GUI for
24 > scanning, adding and editing the defined networks. Everything starts
25 > automatically when I turn on my computer and connects automatically. I
26 > don't do any /etc/init.d/net.xxx stuff manually at all.
27
28 Same here and no, I would not call you confused at all.
29
30 The wpa_supplicant *gui* does what NM/wicd do with wireless networks,
31 albeit less glamorously.
32
33 BTW, configuring /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf for your
34 known/permanent APs is not really difficult, when using the well
35 commented example file as a guide. /etc/init.d/net is also relatively
36 easy to configure for using arp with particular subnets.
37
38 Now, about being old fashioned ... hmmm ...
39
40 PS. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not advocating that everyone
41 *must* use the existing /etc/init.d/ scripts instead of NM/wicd - just
42 choose what suits you best - this is Gentoo after all. :-)
43 --
44 Regards,
45 Mick