From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: DNS Issues [Was: [gentoo-user] Re: Slow Login, Sudo, etc.]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:01:50
1 On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:17:02PM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:59:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> >> Seriously, just use wicd, dump the rest.
7 >> >
8 >> > +1
9 >>
10 >> Call me old-fashioned, I use wpa_supplicant. :)
11 >
12 > Actually, I'll call you confused :)
13
14 You are probably right. :) In my brain I was only thinking about
15 wireless networks. It never occurred to me to need network management
16 for wired connections as well (I've never had any need for it so it
17 didn't enter my mind).
18
19 All I've ever done with wired network is enable dhcp in
20 /etc/conf.d/net and install ifplugd. For wireless I enable
21 wpa_supplicant module in /etc/conf.d/net and add the networks either
22 manually to the config file or by using wpa_supplicant's GUI for
23 scanning, adding and editing the defined networks. Everything starts
24 automatically when I turn on my computer and connects automatically. I
25 don't do any /etc/init.d/net.xxx stuff manually at all.
26
27 That was probably the recommended way to config back in 2003-2004 when
28 I set up my Gentoo machines and I've never had any reason to change it
29 since it keeps working. So that's why I called myself old-fashioned.
30
31 I've never used wicd or networkmanager and I suppose I've been lucky
32 to not encounter the problems that you guys have. I will keep it in
33 mind if my luck changes for the worse in the future. :)
34
35 Thanks
36 Paul